Monday, February 13, 2012

Team Fox

It's official: I am now a registered athlete with Team Fox. Better yet, Project 13.1 is a registered event. Please visit my personal page if you're interested in donating money. My goal is to raise at least $5,000 for Parkinson's Disease research by the end of the year. It will be absolutely fantastic if I can surpass that goal.

Why Parkinson's Disease, you might ask?
This past year I have had the opportunity to become acquainted with one of the most interesting and generous men I've had the pleasure of meeting, Brian. At the end of last year, I learned that he is also a dedicated marathon runner who has run the 26.2 mile race on every continent in the world. He also happens to be battling Parkinson's Disease and is an active member of Team Fox.

I have always considered myself a runner. When I was 10 year old, I had to run the mile for my first time. It was some elementary school fitness test. I was the fastest girl in my grade. I remember my dad (who was already a marathon runner) being so excited for me. He encouraged me to join the track team the next year. I ran track all through junior high. I ran three years of varsity track in high school, and four years of varsity cross country. I ran my first marathon when I was 19; and my second when I was 21. And then the summer I turned 22, I had knee surgery. Since my surgery almost three and a half years ago (yikes!), it's been difficult for me to fully dedicate myself to running again. There always seems to be a reason not to jump back in, whether it's the lack of time or some new injury (gravity and I have had several altercations over the years). Brian inspired me to start running again. Now that I'm back, I am starting to remember why I love to run. It seems only appropriate that I run for a cause that is important to him.

My next race is this Sunday in Houston, TX. The start time is 7:30am at Sam Houston Park. The course is a loop that goes down Allen Parkway. Half marathoners will run the loop three times. I'd love it if anyone could come downtown and show me some support. I invite anyone interested to attend the post race party with me afterwards and then go out for brunch. If you can't come watch, that's ok: just be sure to make a donation to Team Fox :).

Thanks for your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment